Skip to main content


Travel with allergies

With people starting to travel again, we thought it was time to let you know that we have lots of resources that will help make your next trip as safe and successful as possible.

For those with food allergy travelling to countries that do not speak English, we have translated chef cards to help communicate your allergy to food service staff.

12.8 Chef Card

ASCIA has a travel plan for people at risk of anaphylaxis, which your doctor can complete, and a checklist for travel to help ensure that you have done all you need to do before you travel. The travel plan is used with your ASCIA Action Plan for Anaphylaxis when you travel. Like the ASCIA Action Plan for Anaphylaxis, it is a medical document (signed by your doctor or nurse practitioner) and it states that you need to carry an adrenaline injector and your own food (if you have a food allergy).

We have information on the kinds of foods that you might like to take on long plane trips (this will depend on what foods you are allergic to).

Travel insurance is important for peace of mind when travelling overseas. We have a checklist with information on what to look out for when purchasing travel insurance to make sure you are covered if you need medical treatment for an allergic reaction when overseas.