The Allergy Friendly Family Cookbook
We are pleased to share that Murdoch Children's Research Institute (MCRI) in conjunction with HarperCollins and taste.com.au, are developing a cookbook comprising of allergy friendly recipes for the whole family. We would love our A&AA Members to submit their allergy friendly recipes, cooking and baking tips, ‘quotable’ stories, and photos from families in the Allergy & Anaphylaxis Australia community.
The cookbook will also include the latest MCRI allergy research breakthroughs, advice on best practice to manage common food related allergies and practical tips and shopping hints to avoid or manage allergens for kids and families from MCRI’s child allergy experts. With nothing quite like this currently available on the market, we believe this will be a valuable resource for many families at mealtimes and when preparing dishes and lunchboxes.
The chapters will be broken into the following categories:
- First foods
- Lunchbox & Snacks
- Sweet Treats
- Special Occasion (Christmas, Easter, Birthday Party, Halloween)
30 recipes will be chosen for inclusion and if your recipe is selected, your recipe will be credited, and you will receive a free copy of the cookbook.
Please note: MCRI will receive royalties from sales, with this money being invested into further medical research. Books will be available for purchase in book retail outlets and online (details will be listed on the MCRI website) for $39.95 (RRP).
How to submit your contribution & closing date
Additional material to provide with your recipe
As noted above, along with your recipe we would love to include a family anecdote or quote in the cookbook. Below are some questions you may like to consider. These are provided as a guide to help you with thinking around your short stories/quotes – they do not need to be completed nor do you need to stick with these. We would love to gain an insight into why you treasure your recipe and want to share it with many more families around the country. The more information the better!
- Is there a background story to the recipe? ie was it handed down from a grandparent, friend, your own creation, adapted from something you’d seen?
- Is there a reason you enjoy making it? ie this is a recipe everyone in the family enjoys eating together, the kids assist with cooking, it’s super quick and easy to make, there are minimal utensils needed, I always get asked for the recipe, my child is a fussy eater but will always eat this.
- Where did you come across the recipe? Ie online/cookbook/from a friend.
- Have you adapted the recipe yourself to cater for the food allergy requirements your family has?
- How long have you been making the recipe?
- Is there a comment you always hear when people eat this food item?
- Do you always make this for a special occasion ie at Christmas, on a Friday night, for a celebration?
- Does it work well for leftovers, meaning you can skip cooking a night, or have food for work / school?
*Please note – image/s need to be of high resolution (at least 300dpi) for use in the book
- Cooking in the kitchen
- Kids/family with the final product
- The end result of the recipe
Consent Form requirement
For your contribution to be considered for inclusion in the cookbook, please complete the below Consent Form and email it along with your recipe, comments, quotes and any other details. If there is not enough space on the form, you are welcome to add further details on a blank page or within your email.
We look forward to receiving your contributions!
Murdoch Children's Research Institute (MCRI) is the largest child health research institute in Australia and the top three child health research institutes worldwide for research quality and impact*. Our team of more than 1200 talented researchers is dedicated to making discoveries to prevent and treat childhood conditions. Many of our researchers are also clinicians at The Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne, where the Institute is based. Read more
About HarperCollins Australia
At HarperCollins Australia, our beginnings date back to 1882 with the establishment of the Angus & Robertson bookshop in Sydney, which branched into publishing in 1888. Our first bestseller was A. B. ‘Banjo’ Paterson’s The Man from Snowy River, which sold 5000 copies in its first four months in 1895 and is still in print today. Our love of publishing Australian stories continues to this day with a dedicated and passionate team of book-makers, book-sellers and book-spruikers. We publish the stories that captivate the world and generations. We are the home of prize-winners, international giants, rising stars and home-grown heroes, chart toppers and cult favourites. We are 200 years of publishing history. Read more
Taste.com.au is Australia's #1 food site and is home to more than 50,000 recipes. The Taste.com.au Top 100 cookbook series is curated by taste's food experts, each cookbook features Australia's most-loved and most-cooked recipes for every day and every occasion. The stunning photography brings the food to life with every turn of the page - you can almost taste it. The taste.com.au guarantee. Recipes are not only triple-tested, they are also rated, reviewed and trusted by millions of Aussie cooks just like you. Read more
Content created May 2022