ACNC Registered Charity Logo RGB 120px


It is important that the diagnosis of a food allergy is made by a medical practitioner with experience in food allergy. Never self-diagnose or rely on anecdotal information for a diagnosis.

A person who is suspected of having a food allergy should obtain a referral to see an allergy specialist for correct diagnosis, advice on preventative management and emergency treatment. A referral to a dietitian may also be required, particularly with multiple food allergies.

People diagnosed with a potentially severe allergy must always carry their emergency medication (adrenaline (epinephrine) autoinjector) as prescribed as well as an Action Plan for Anaphylaxis (ASCIA Website) signed by their doctor.

Being diagnosed with severe allergy can be a little overwhelming. But be aware, you’re not alone – help and support is available. Talk to your allergist or immunologist for expert personalised treatment and care. They’ll recommend regular follow-up so you can receive up to date information on allergy and the risk of anaphylaxis.

You can also join Allergy & Anaphylaxis Australia at no cost, gaining an instant support group. You have instant access to a range of resources, discounts and a network of people who are in the same situation as you.

Having a severe allergy doesn’t mean you have to stop living your life.  With awareness, education and training, those who live with the risk and their families can lead normal, healthy lives.

Newly diagnosed?

Content updated January 2017


Knowledge for life


Newly diagnosed

Being diagnosed with a potentially severe allergy is scary. But don’t worry, you’re not alone – help and support is available.

Allergy & Anaphylaxis Australia is a national support group for people caring for or at risk of anaphylaxis. Learn more...

Spotlight on...

Don’t miss out on life because you have an allergy. With some forward planning and good communication, you can participate in almost anything you desire.

Check out our Life stages section for more specific information.

Registered Charity Tick