Transition from Primary School to High School – Q&A Session
Beginning high school is an exciting time for children aged between 11 and 13 years.
It can also be a little daunting for both the child and their parents as they slowly understand how high schools work.
Communication, planning and education are three vital steps to a smooth transition to high school.
Allergy & Anaphylaxis Australia's CEO Maria Said, and Health Management Educator Jody Aiken hosted an online Q&A session about managing the transition from primary school to high school.
The recording of the webinar session is available to watch below.
Simply click on (or select) the question to easily reach time-stamps for the answer.
Links to the various resources discussed throughout this webinar are available here.
Transition from Primary School to High School – Full Webinar
1. How do you plan for the transition into high school?
2. How do most high school students carry their EpiPen on them?
3. How do we work with the school to plan for Food Technology lessons in year 7 and 8?
4. What is the risk of cross contamination when students with food allergy use the same oven as others that have used food allergens in their cooking?
5. How do I go about communicating my child’s food allergies with all of their high school teachers?
6. What strategies would you suggest to encourage your child to talk to their friends about their allergies?
7. How do I approach year 7 camp?
8. What are some resources I can provide my child to help them learn about managing their allergies?
9. Will there be a 250K Youth Camp this year?
10. If children get teased because of their allergies, how do you deal with that?
11. Currently, schools are not allowing parents on premises because of COVID-19. What do you suggest we do in terms of setting up a meeting with the school staff?
12. What should the school be doing in terms of allergy management when children have relief teachers and sport/other off-site activities?
Links to Resources
Links to the various resources discussed throughout this webinar.
The Psychological Impact of Allergies – Presentation by Psychologist Nadi Fernando
Food Technology and Hospitality Lessons in Secondary School
Preparing for Camp with Food Allergies
Signs & Symptoms Animation
How to Administer an EpiPen Animation
‘Are you Allergy Aware?’ Slide Set
Allergy Aware presentation secondary school 20211.15 MB
ASCIA & National Allergy Strategy Resources
250K Youth Project
ASCIA E-Training for the Community
All About Allergens: The Next Steps for Cooks and Chefs – Camps
Content updated December 20201